Dependent Pass Application

The Dependent Pass (DP) is meant for eligible Employment Pass and S Pass holders to bring their dependents (e.g. spouses, unmarried children) into Singapore. Typically, the Dependant Pass application is administered by the employer or appointed employment agent. Successful Dependant Pass applicants will be granted the same validity period as the main work pass holder’s stay in Singapore. While the Dependant Pass only allows the dependents to live in Singapore, with the proper documentation and approval, Dependant Pass holders could also work or study in Singapore.

What are the key eligibility criteria for the Dependant Pass?

Not all applicants are eligible under the Dependant Pass and there are criteria to respect for both the main work pass holder and the dependent who wishes to enter Singapore via the Dependant Pass scheme. For the Dependant Pass applicant, they should either be the legally married spouse or the unmarried children (under 21 years old) of the main work pass holder. These relationships have to be demonstrated through proper certifications. For instance, marriage certificates, birth certificates or adoption orders where relevant.

For the main work pass holder, they should minimally draw a fixed monthly salary of S$6,000, in order to qualify to bring their dependents through the Dependant Pass scheme.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, dependents will also need to prove that they are either fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or are exempt from vaccination. All documents submitted for the Dependant Pass should be in English or officially translated into English.

How long does it take for MOM to process an S Pass application?

Generally, for EP and S Pass holders, Dependant Pass applications are reviewed by the MOM within a three-week timeframe. However, for those holding a Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) or EntrePass, the corresponding Dependant Pass application may take up to 8 weeks for processing in most cases.

Once approved, MOM will send an In-Principle Approval (IPA), which allows the applicant to enter Singapore. Upon entering, the applicant will need to request the issuance of the DP by submitting the relevant documents and personal information, as well as making the requisite payment to MOM.

How can Dependant Pass holders apply to work in Singapore?

Since May 2021, the Singapore government requires Dependant Pass holders to apply for a relevant work pass, should they wish to work in Singapore. This means that, depending on the type of work and qualifying salary, the Dependant Pass holder may need to apply through the S Pass, Employment Pass or even EntrePass. Each of these work visa schemes have their own eligibility criteria and Dependant Pass holders will need to be subject to the full range of criteria as with any other applicant.

How can Dependant Pass holders apply for a Letter of Consent to operate a business in Singapore?

Of course, not all Dependant Pass holders may be finding traditional work. For Dependant Pass holders who are considering to operate a business based in Singapore, they will need to apply through a Letter of Consent (LOC) in order to gain the required permissions and approval from MOM. Those intending to apply for the LOC should have a Dependant Pass valid for at least three months. Again, this LOC application is subject to the various requirements and criteria imposed by the MOM.

If your company is assisting work pass holders to bring in their dependents, or if you are an EP/PEP holder who wants to apply for the Dependant Pass on behalf of your spouse/children, do not hesitate to contact our consultants to understand the application process in-depth. We will be able to guide you in your application, from start to finish.


If We Can’t Help You Immigrate, No One Can

Give our knowledgeable and friendly

immigration consultants

a call to see how we can help you.