Benefit Of Singapore Citizenship
- Travel Freedom: A Singapore Passport holder enjoys liberal visa requirements to many destinations in the world. It is a known fact that Singapore passport holders tend to be given quick clearance by other countries’ immigration.
- Employment security and mobility: MOM work pass approval or renewal not required.
- Housing: Able to borrow 80% of housing loan from the bank for property in Singapore and buy resale HDB.
- Central Provident Fund (CPF): Compulsory social security savings plan for Citizens and Permanent Residents
- Tax Rebate: CPF amount will not be included in taxable income, reducing annual taxable income
The following are eligible to apply for Singapore Citizenship:
- Person of 21 years of age and above with SPR status for at least 2-6 years prior to date of application.
- Spouse of Singapore Citizen with SPR status of at least two years, and a minimum marriage duration of 2 years.
- Child born outside Singapore where at least one parent is a Singapore citizen.
- In addition to the above requirements, the following factors will play an important role in the outcome of your Singapore Citizenship application:
- Track record of living in Singapore as an SPR.
- Social and financial ‘investments’ into Singapore.
- Ability to be an asset, not a liability, to Singapore.
An overseas-born minor (child) may also be eligible for Singapore Citizenship by Descent under Article 122(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, if his/her parents meet any of the following conditions:
- Male Singapore citizen by Birth who has a lawful marriage at the time of minor’s birth.
- Male Singapore citizen by Registration who has a lawful marriage at time of minor’s birth and minor does not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country.
- Female Singapore citizen by Birth and minor born on or after 15 May 2004.
- Female Singapore citizen by Registration and minor born on or after 15 May 2004. Minor shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country.
- Male (who has a lawful marriage at time of minor’s birth) or Female Singapore citizen by Descent has to declare their residence period in Singapore.
- The application has to be submitted within one year of the child’s birth.