Singapore Citizenship Application
Becoming a Singapore citizen comes with a host of benefits. Singapore is known as one of the world’s most peaceful and safe countries in the world. With a high quality of life, a multicultural community, excellent education and a healthcare system, many foreigners have decided to apply for citizenship after 2 years of obtaining their Singapore PR.
To moderate the impact of an ageing population coupled with low birth rates in our citizen population, Singapore grants approximately 22,000 new citizenships annually to individuals who are committed to making Singapore their home. These individuals either share family ties with Singaporeans, have studied, worked or lived here for some time as Permanent Residents or possess qualities that make them an asset to Singapore. However, one may decide not to apply for Singapore PR due to the inability to hold dual citizenship.
Applying for Singapore Citizenship is quite different from applying for Singapore PR as they assess you as an individual more holistically, looking into areas such as your current contributions, whether you have integrated with the Singapore society, understanding your career plans in being a Singaporean and your intentions in pledging your allegiance to the Country’s constitution and its values.
Benefits of Singapore Citizenship
- Travel Freedom: A Singapore Passport holder enjoys free visa entry requirements to as many as 189 destinations worldwide. Rank No. 1 passport in the world for many years, it’s considered an elite travel passport.
- Employment security and mobility: MOM work pass approval or renewal is not required. You can work for any company or even open a company entitled to various Singapore government support.
- Housing: Able to borrow 80% of a housing loan from the bank for property in Singapore, buy government housing projects and avoid additional buyer stamp duty, which is at 60% if you are a foreigner.
- School Admission: Priority access to Top Singapore government schools; Singapore was ranked Top 5 in the world education index.
- Tax Rebate: enjoy one of the lowest income taxes in the world by being a tax resident in Singapore.
The following are eligible to apply for Singapore Citizenship:
- Person of 21 years of age and above with SPR status for at least 2-6 years before the date of application.
- Spouse of Singapore Citizen with SPR status of at least two years and a minimum marriage duration of 2 years.
- Children born in or out of Singapore with at least one parent are Singapore citizens.
- A person who has been a PR for more than 3 years and passed a National Exam or under the Integrated Program
In addition to the above requirements, the following factors will play an essential role in the outcome of your Singapore Citizenship application:
- Duration of living in Singapore as an SPR
- Social and financial ‘investments’ into Singapore
- Ability to be an asset, not a liability, to Singapore
- Your social integration into Singapore communities
- Contribution and support to Singapore’s Growth
An overseas-born minor (child) may also be eligible for Singapore Citizenship by Descent under Article 122(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore if his/her parents meet any of the following conditions:
1. The child has a father who is a Singapore national by birth and he is legally married;
By looking at a straightforward process, many applicants get rejected when applying for Singapore Citizenship. If you are ready to be a Singapore Citizen or would like to know more about the pros and cons, contact us; we will be happy to assist.